When we gain access to blueprints for the finalised Ground Floor, we learn that the finished room will be divided between Parquet floors and tiles. We set out markers for the floor and begin to restore and replace any Parquet that is damaged. We cordon off the area while this is happening, as while we’re wearing Dust Masks, other people on site may not be. Our Sander is equipped with an inbuilt Vacuum cleaner, but it’s always better to be safe than sorry. The final sand is then covered with boards to protect it from foot-traffic until we can return to put the finish on the floor.
The ground floor of Mortimer House is Parquet, and differs from the other floors in the building. It called for different treatment, and a different finish. We spoke with the client and narrowed down his request to the different finishes set out below. We again sanded the area back to ensure the finish was as accurate to the final product as possible.
We sought to replace much of the damaged flooring across all Six levels of the building. The Client informed us that he wanted the floor to be kept as authentic as possible, retaining as much of the character that it had built up over many decades. However, certain boards were irreparably damaged and could not be safely left in. We removed these boards and replaced them with carefully selected reclaimed boards that met our specifications. Though they once had a different finish to the existing floor, several passes with a Sander make it impossible to tell what’s original and what’s replaced.
We began work at Mortimer House by obtaining numerous permits and certifications clearing us work on such a site, including an Asbestos Awareness course and undergoing SSSTS training.
We set about sanding down a small area of a floor and applying a number of finishes to it to allow the client an understanding of what the floor would look like when completed. These samples included a variety of water-based lacquers and Oil finishes.
This Community centre had a water leak. The parquet blocks expanded and as a temporary repair the parquet was replaced by plywood sheets.
Unfortunately the existing parquet was disposed off.
The council asked Barfords to replace this repair so the floor blended and was more fit for purpose.